20 Sep 2017
Alkaline Lifestyle Plan for Self-Care
A wonderful way of practicing self-love is to look after your body temple by helping it achieve or stay in a healthy alkaline state which will have you feeling great and greatly lower your chances of suffering from chronic diseases that are aggravated by acidic inflammation.
In essence the general modern lifestyle and diet is very acidic. Foods and drinks such as coffee, alcohol, sugar, sweetners, meat, processed foods, white bread, dairy, any animal protein, smoking, condiments such as ketchup, vinegar, mayonnaise etc all make for an acidic composition within our bodies. Also huge contributor in that affects the body’s Acid vs. Alkalinity levels is STRESS.
Acidity provides a breeding ground for diseases and inflammation within the body and without the body being in a preferable alkaline state, the body is unable to naturally heal itself.
Your immune system also suffers under an acidic environment and also gives way to fungus’ such as systemic Candida resulting in tiredness, weight gain and brain fog amongst other things. An acid environment can go on for years without being diagnosed as the body wants to keep homeostasis by any means possible (often at the expense of other organs and bones). This can leach calcium from your bones as it’s needed to buffer highly acidic blood to support its favourable pH of 7.4 which can lead to osteoporosis and softer bones and teeth. Cancer is said to be unable to thrive in an alkaline oxygen rich state and wholly favours an acidic anaerobic environment.
Here are 10 easy ways to encourage an alkaline state and reduce acidic inflammation within the body in day to day living:
- Replacing that first cup of tea or coffee with: Warm water and lemon
- Keeping coffee consumption down to a maximum 2 cups.
- Eating many alkaline producing vegetables and fruits – especially green leafy veggies
- Adding Chlorella or Spirulina powder to a daily smoothie .
- Practicing deep breathing, such as ujjayi breath, to encourage flood of oxygen to all our cells and lowering cortisol levels to level out stress.
- Avoiding the acid forming foods mentioned above or eating very little of them.
- Having a capful of raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of water daily.
- Replacing vinegar dressing with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Take a probiotic daily – Pick one that has at least 5 strains and five billion CFU (colony forming units) for effectiveness (not all probiotics are created equal)
- Spend 5 minutes meditating on all the things you are grateful for to reduce stress
And so it is easy to slowly give yourself just that little bit of more loving daily by alkalizing your life.
For more information and motivation on the benefits of an Alkaline lifestyle check out these books:
Alkaline Diet Motivation: Alkaline Lifestyle and Holistic Nutrition Tips for Modern People (Weight Loss Motivation) Marta Tuchowska